Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tuesday Tasting: Myoko Kogen Brewery

Last week I looked at Gotemba Kogen's beers this week I am taking a look at another resort brewery: Myoko Kogen Brewery which is located in the Alpen Blick (ski) Resort in Niigata Prefecture. Once again, I ordered a trial tasting set featuring three beers(as far as I know they only make three): a weizen, a dark lager and a pilsner. Apparently, their recipes were formulated with the help of a brewer from the Czech Brewery, U Fleck.




Myoko Kogen Weizen 5%


This time I started with the weizen.It pours a beautiful cloudy straw gold with a thick foamy head in my weizen glass. Big yeasty aroma of cloves & banana bread or plantains - makes me hungry! Light zesty effervescent carbonation on a thin body which is possibly a touch too watery. The taste is quite good, clove spiciness, wheat notes & a bit of banana sweetness. Tasty much better than that Gotemba Kogen Weizen I had last week.


Myoko Kogen Dark Lager 5%


Cola brown pour with a beige beige head of fluffy foam that dissipated fast leaving behind dabs of soapy lacing. The aroma is mild straight from the fridge, roast malts & soft chocolate notes. A smooth medium body gives it a pleasant mouthfeel. The taste is sweet, roasted barley, bran flakes & cocoa powder with an exceptional roasted grains + mild raisins flavor. This beer makes me think of the breakfast cereal raisin bran but in a very good way. An interesting dark lager! As good as or maybe even better than the weizen, my only critique is the aroma is too subtle at first but once it warmed up a bit I got a touch of molasses added to the bran.

Myoko Kogen Pilsner 5%

It pours a clear gold with a foamy white head. The aroma is earthy spicy Saaz with sweet graham cracker likemalts. A bit too sweet in the nose for my taste. The body is ultra soft & light. Incredibly crisp taste, light earthy bitterness & green hay from the malts. Very summery, exceptionally drinkable - really good stuff. 

All in all, this is a very solid brewery that took me by surprise. I'd never heard of them before. If you're looking to enjoy the Japanese mountainside for hiking or skiing I would say head on over to the Alpen Blick Resort for all that plus good beer!




No comments:

Post a Comment