Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tuesday Tasting : Mikkeller's Orange Yuzu Glad I said Porter

Every Tuesday I review a new beer for my page on facebook and have decided to post that on my blog too.  This week I decided to try Mikkeller's Orange Yuzu Glad I said Porter.

It was a  bottle from Asahiya. It poured a nice dark brown with a brownish-white head of quickly dissipating foam. Right off the bat the aroma was one of citrus  over a malty coffee base. With the first sip there was a sweet-tangy yuzu/citrus taste followed by a roast coffee sweet porter base. It was fantastic with a mikan (tangerine) which brought out the citrus flavor. It was even better with some chocolate which made some smokey flavors come out which was very nice. I also tried it with this odd Meiji Orange Bitter & Chili Pepper Choco Sticks. This was the worst of the three pairings where the flavor was way too strong and overpowered the beer, it did highlight the smokiness & gave it a bit of a bacony flavor but for the most part the beer was buried by it. It went very well with mikans & chocolate though. All in all an excellent beer, well-balanced but with hidden depths. Definitely worth trying again. 4 out of 5.



No comments:

Post a Comment